Seeing as how this Sunday is one of OUR personal favorite holidays of the year, and since the game is being played in the exciting city of New Orleans, we thought we would bring you the Official New Orleans cocktail this weekend, The Sazerac! If you are like us you will be mixing a few of these and wishing you were at the game!
Prep time: 3 Minutes – Serves: 1
- 3 oz rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- Peychaud bitters to taste
- absinthe or absinthe substitute
- Lemon twist for garnish
- Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling it with ice and letting it sit while preparing the rest of the drink.
- In a separate mixing glass, muddle the simple syrup and Peychaud bitters together.
- Add the rye whiskey and ice to the bitters mixture and stir.
- Discard the ice in the chilled glass and rinse it with absinthe by pouring a small amount into the glass, swirling it around and discarding the liquid.
- Strain the whiskey mixture from the mixing glass into the old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist. Traditionalists will say that the lemon twist should be squeezed over the drink to release its essences but that the twist should not be dropped into the glass itself.